Hillary counsels clients on operational concerns and sophisticated transactions. Like the innovative entrepreneurs, talent and brands she advises, Hillary strives to bring creative yet practical strategies to legal services.
Clients of her business and tech practice include entrepreneurs, start-ups and established brands as well as angel, venture capital and private equity investors. Hillary counsels on corporate structure, capital raising/financing, commercial matters, IP, M&A and other exits.
Her sports & entertainment clients include new and established athletes, recording artists, actors, writers, producers, broadcasters, photographers, fashion designers, chefs and talent managers. Hillary advises on brand and IP protection, licensing and services arrangements, rights acquisition/disposition, entrepreneurship and investment and post-career planning.
Her food & beverage and CPG practice focuses on the natural, organic, plant-based, vegan and better-for-you space, including brands featuring a variety of food and beverage products and innovative CPG, as well as investors in and vendors to these brands and food tech businesses. Hillary counsels on raising capital, IP protection, manufacturing/co-packing, broker, distribution, supply and other services arrangements and other commercial matters.
RECOGNITIONS AND AWARDS
WHAT CLIENTS SAY:
- Named to Super Lawyers New York Women's Edition, published in The New York Times supplement, 2018
- Recipient of the Avvo Clients' Choice Award, 2017
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Rated
- Named in Martindale-Hubbell® Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers™, 2011 - 2016
- Listed as a New York Metro "Super Lawyer," 2013-2017
- Listed as "Top Women Lawyer" in New York City by Avenue Magazine, 2011; 2012; 2015
- Listed as Legal Leaders “New York Area’s Top Rated Lawyers” by New York magazine, 2012
- Listed as "Top Attorney" in Entertainment & Sports Law in The American Registry's 2013 Top Attorneys in the New York Metro Area
- Named in "Top Women Attorneys" in Metro New York by The New York Times Magazine, May 2014
- Named by Chambers USA as one of New York's Up and Coming Lawyers for Media, Entertainment: Film & Television, 2014
- Named by Chambers USA as one of New York's Ranked Lawyers for Media, Entertainment: Film & Television, 2015-2018
“I was impressed with her ability to grasp the concepts and complexities of our vision. She offered sound legal judgment and showed her business acumen to plan a course of action. It was easy to see she would be tough-minded and direct in business situations and discussions...but also incredibly understanding and compassionate. She has demonstrated outstanding strategic planning advice geared towards the success of major projects and events. She is always thinking "big" picture in our business efforts, but detail analysis is never overlooked. She possesses unquestionable accountability and commitment to objectives.”
“Successful negotiations are about attitude, aptitude, strategy, and execution, and Hillary excels on all counts. She is a pleasure to work with - tough-minded but with a sense of humor even in the heat of battle. Even when not in negotiations, Hillary is always "on the case" and her follow-up skills are remarkable.
“I always feel confident that she has my best interests in mind. Hillary always responds to my communication promptly, even occasionally on the weekend when the need has arisen. I’ve always been confident that she will guide me towards the best decision for each situation.”
“It is a pleasure to work with Hillary. She is very thorough, honest, knowledgeable and always makes enough time to work with me on various issues regardless of how big or small they are.”
About their firm
Operating from five strategic locations — Beijing, New York, Portland, Seattle, and Washington, D.C. — Garvey Schubert Barer represents clients locally, nationally and internationally, with a special focus on the Pacific Rim. We provide practical, client-centered solutions to established market leaders, newly launched enterprises, athletes and entertainers, and governmental bodies. Visit us at www.gsblaw.com.